Skip to content


Home » Blog » Immigration Facts » What You Need to Know About U.S. Tourist Visas

What You Need to Know About U.S. Tourist Visas

United States visa

Whether it’s you or a loved one visiting the United States, the most convenient option for your own situation might be to apply for a U.S. tourist visa. Sometimes, you might need to stay longer in the United States beyond the dates authorized by the Citizenship and Immigration Services. Whether you’re having difficulty returning home or you’re waiting on the status of a family petition, extending your stay in the U.S. is necessary. However, there are things to consider before you decide to stay longer. The team at U.S. Immigration Bonds discusses what you need to know about U.S. tourist visas.

The Terms of a U.S. Tourist Visa

U.S. tourist visas, also known as a B-2 visa for tourism, are for foreigners who have the intention to return to their homeland. The U.S. tourist visa is in no way, shape, or form meant to assist with immigration.

When applying for your U.S. tourist visa, you’re required to state your plan to return to your home country due to home or family situations. Upon entry to the United States, you’ll be interviewed by a CBP agent about the places you’ll stay and where you’ll visit during your time in the U.S., and it’s your responsibility to be at those places with your U.S. tourist visa.

The First 90 Days of Legal Entry

After entering the United States territory, immigration officials monitor your activity within the first 90 days as a U.S. tourist visa holder. You can put yourself at risk of immigration fraud if the federal officials sense that you’ve worked or studied abroad without a permit, or try to establish a permanent home in the United States. It’s worth noting that you must conduct yourself accordingly during the first 90 days, even if you have an authorized B-2 visa that lets you stay for six months.

Do Not Apply for U.S. Permanent Residence with a B-2 Tourist Visa

There is definitely a difference between a green card and a visa. As a B-2 holder, the last thing you want to do is ask for a visa extension in order to apply for lawful permanent residence. This alerts immigration authorities that your initial intentions of visiting the United States with a B-2 visa were to maintain an immigrant status. Some people might suggest applying for an extension to maintain legal status in the U.S., but this is considered immigration fraud.


To learn more about U.S. tourist visas or different USCIS processing times, give a member of our team a call at 1-800-225-2587 today.

US Immigration Bonds
Scroll To Top