Home » Blog » Bond Refund » How Do I Get My Immigration Bond Money Back?

How Do I Get My Immigration Bond Money Back?

People always call asking how they can obtain their refund for a bond they posted years ago.  When our company receives those phone calls, it’s always a person that posted a bond directly with the Department of Homeland Security. The purpose of using a bond company is because you do not have the entire bond amount in cash; why borrow the money if you don’t have to?  The majority of people who ask this question have never dealt with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and while it seems logical to post the bond yourself (if you have the money), it is always my advice to let a professional handle it for you.  

 If you posted a bond directly with ICE and believe you are entitled to a refund, you must take the following required steps:

  1. Form I-305 Original Bond Receipt. If you do not have the original I-305 or only have a copy, you will be required to complete Form I-395 (Affidavit in Lieu of Lost Receipt of United States ICE for Collateral Accepted as Security).
  2. I-391 Bond Cancellation. You will also need to have a copy of the I-391 bond cancellation.  If the case has been concluded, ICE will typically mail this document to the address listed for the obligor on the I-352 bond contract.  If you did not receive a copy of the I-391, it is possible that: 

    a.       The case has not been concluded

    b.      ICE failed to cancel the bond upon termination of the case

    c.       ICE did cancel the bond but an I-391 copy was never sent to you.   

  3. Mail documents. Once you have all of the required documentation, you will be required to mail your refund request to Operations Management (formerly the Burlington Finance Center) with a photo ID and three signatures. This package should be sent to the following address:

 Operations Management

PO Box 5000.

WillistonVT 05495-5000 

  1. If done correctly, you can expect a refund check in several months. 

 Seems simple, right?  Please remember that immigration removal cases can stay active for years and sometimes even decades, which is why allowing a professional immigration bond company assist you can relieve some of the complication that could arise.  For example, if misplaced your bond related paperwork or if you moved since placing the bond, these are both very likely situations that could complicate obtaining your refund. All of these reasons give more evidence to why it is best to let a bonding company be the middle man between you and the government.  

 When US Immigration Bonds post an immigration bond we work through an insurance company on the U.S. Treasury list that has credit with Homeland Security. Our bond ensures the government that the bonded alien will appear for all removal proceedings, or agree to pay the penal sum of the bond.  We also file our bonds electronically which allows us to service our clients anywhere at any time. At US Immigration Bonds we encourage you to do research before deciding on how to handle your situation and welcome any questions you may have.  If your loved one is currently detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement or you are trying to obtain your refund from DHS, please contact our office at 1-800-225-2587 for more information.