How to Obtain and Pay an Immigration Bail Bond in California
Obtaining and paying an immigration bail bond in California in order to get someone you know out of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center can be difficult. If you do not understand the process or follow incorrect protocol, it could potentially delay the release of an illegal alien detained in California. In order to make sure the securing and payment of a California immigration bail bond is completed correctly, follow these steps.
First, is the detained illegal alien eligible for a California immigration bail bond? This is determined one of two ways:
- The ICE immigration agent has predetermined the detained alien is eligible for bond and has already set an amount for the California immigration bail bond.
- The ICE immigration agent has declined to grant a bond to the detained alien and therefore a request can be submitted for an immigration bond hearing before an immigration judge. The immigration judge will decide if the alien will be granted a California immigration bond and set the bail bond amount.
Next, take the necessary steps in order to schedule an appointment to pay the California immigration bail bond:
- Schedule an appointment at the local ICE Office affiliated with the detention center where the illegal alien is being held.
- Only a person of legal status in the United States can schedule the appointment with the local ICE office.
- Only after the California immigration bail bond has been granted, can a person of legal status in the United States make an appointment with the local ICE office.
- In order to secure an appointment with the local ICE office, call the office affiliated with the ICE detention center detaining the known illegal alien by phone.
- Assure that this local ICE office is designated to accept California bail bond payments.
- Once you have contacted the designated local ICE office by phone, press “0” to speak with someone who can provide personal assistance.
- Let the person answering this call know that you would like to make an appointment to pay a California immigration bail bond.
Once you have scheduled your appointment to pay an immigration bail bond in California, this is what you can expect while you are at the local ICE office:
Payment Options –
- You cannot pay a California immigration bail bond with cash or personal check.
- You can obtain a cashier’s check prior to your appointment and write it out to the “Department of Homeland Security”.
- You can also use the assistance of a bail bondsman in order to pay the immigration bail bond.
Documents to bring to the local ICE office –
- The person with legal status in United States who is paying the California immigration bail bond must bring their original social security card along with a valid photo ID.
- Copies of either social security card or photo ID will not be accepted.
Upon the immigration bail bond being paid in full, the local ICE office will contact the detention center holding the illegal alien and request for his or her release. Expect the entire bonding-out process to take at least an hour. Once the detained illegal immigrant has been released, migrant legal assistance should be immediately sought out.